Home warranties protect you, the homeowners, from unexpected costs associated with home systems and appliance repairs. These costs can add up to thousands of dollars and without a home warranty, you’d be left footing the entire bill. The warranty helps mitigate your out-of-pocket expense
A good home warranty company is more than just a cheap home warranty company. The best have reasonable rates, have widespread coverage with minimal exclusions, and have a reputation for addressing issues quickly and professionally for their clients. We reviewed home warranty companies to find you the best options. Check out the list.
|Company||Monthly Premium||Trade Service Fee|
|American Home Shield||$39.99||$75-$125|
|Choice Home Warranty||$50||$85|
|American Residential Warranty||$34.99||$55|
|Amazon Home Warranty||$29||$75|
|Cinch Home Warranty||$27.99||$100-$150|
|Landmark Home Warranty||$35||$70-$100|
Best Overall: American Home Shield
Founded in 1971, American Home Shield (AHS) is a national home warranty company based in Memphis, Tennessee. Residential homeowners like that AHS has three pre-built plans as well as a build-your-own plan.
The three plans available with AHS are:
- Appliance Plan: Covers refrigerators, ranges, ovens, cooktops, washer and dryer, dishwasher, built-in microwaves, garage door openers, and more.
- Systems Plan: Covers air conditioning, ductwork, heating, electrical, plumbing, water heaters, ceiling fans, and more.
- Combo Plan: Covers items covered in both the Appliance and Systems plans.
Homeowners also have the option to customize their plan with add-ons or build a unique plan with the Build Your Own Plan option.
Prices start at $39.99 per month and plans offer trade service fee (TSF) options of $75 to $125. If you want to lower your monthly payment, you can choose a higher TSF.
There is a 30 day waiting period and homeowners can expect to get claims handled within 48 hours of calling.
Best Service: Choice Home Warranty
Choice Home Warranty was founded in 2008 with business headquarters in Edison, NJ. The company has received two U.S. News and World Report, 2021 360 Review Award as being the Best Home Warranty Company and Best Claims Service for a warranty company.
There are two plans homeowners may choose from:
- Basic Plan: Covers heating, electrical, plumbing, water heater, whirlpool bathtub, stove, oven, cooktop, dishwasher, built-in microwave, and more.
- Total Plan: Covers all the Basic plan offers plus coverage for major appliances such as refrigerators, washers and dryers and air conditioning systems.
Homeowners can choose from a list of optional coverage to add on for an additional cost.
Prices start at $36 a month with trade service fees ranging from $60 to $85. Choice Home Warranty is not available in California or Washington.
Best Value: American Residential Warranty
American Residential Warranty is a national home warranty company located in Boca Raton, Florida serving all 50 U.S. states. On top of their standard home warranty plans, American Residential offers electronics protection plans and home security systems, bringing more to the contract than other home warranty companies.
There are six plan options that homeowners can get with American Residential Warranty:
- Heating & Cooling: Covers central air, washers and dryers, central heat, humidifiers, and electrical systems.
- Kitchen Plus: Covers washers and dryers, electrical systems, refrigerator, range, oven, cooktop, dishwasher, built-in microwave, disposal, kitchen exhaust fan, and water heater.
- Platinum: Combines the Heating & Cooling plan with the Kitchen Plus plan.
- Platinum Premier: Covers the Premier plan plus plumbing, ductwork, garage door opener, ceiling fans, and ice maker.
- 3-In-1 Bundle: Covers everything in the Platinum Premier plan plus offers the Deluxe Advantage that includes coverage for internal mechanisms of toilets, improper installation, refrigerant and coils, and more along with the Ultimate Electronics Protection plan.
- 4-In-1 Bundle: Covers everything in the 3-In-1 plan plus adds coverage for sewer and water lines.
Prices start at $34.99 per month. Trade service fees are an industry low of $55 per call.
Coverage is in all states with the exception of California, Virginia, Iowa, and Texas.
Best Add-Ons: Amazon Home Warranty
Founded in 2009, Amazon Home Warranty maintains headquarters in Columbus, Ohio. Not to be confused as a subsidiary of Amazon retail website, Amazon Home Warranty covers all U.S. states except for California, Hawaii, Iowa, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Washington.
There are three possible plans offered by Amazon Home Warranty:
- Appliance Plan: Covers major appliances that include refrigerators, washer and dryers, stand alone freezers, trash compactor, oven, range, stove, and built-in microwaves.
- System Plan: Covers home systems that include the central air and heat, plumbing, electrical, hot water heater, ductwork, jetted bathtubs, and garage door openers.
- Combo Plan: Covers both plans plus additional appliances such as hot water dispenser, garbage disposal, attic fan, ceiling fan, bathroom exhaust fan, doorbell, and kitchen fan.
There is a whole host of items you can add-on to customize the policy for an additional fee.
Pricing starts at $29 per month and there are two options for the trade service fee: $60 and $75.
Best Guaranteed Service: Cinch Home Services
Cinch has a long-standing reputation in the home warranty industry having been established in 1979. We especially like Cinch’s promise to protect homeowners for unknown pre-existing conditions that create problems or when dealing with rust or corrosion as is rampant in some of the states they serve. Cinch does not provide service to Alaska or Hawaii, but is found in the contiguous 48 states.
There are three home warranty plans to choose from:
- Appliances: Covers washers and dryers, cooktops, dishwashers, freestanding ice makers, refrigerators, microwaves, and more.
- Built-in Systems: Covers air conditioning, ductwork, attic fans, ceiling fans, central vacuums, doorbells, electrical systems, garage door openers, and more.
- Complete Home: Covers everything the Appliances and Built-in Systems plans include.
Prices start at $27.99 per month with trade service fees ranging from $100 to $150.
Best for Pest Control: Landmark Home Warranty
Landmark Home Warranty is owned by American Home Shield but operates as an independent company. However, many of the same values that AHS brings to homeownership and home repairs ring true with this offshoot.
Unlike many other home warranty companies, Landmark offers coverage that deals with repairs needed due to pest infestation and subterranean termites. While this is an attractive unique selling point, it’s important to note that Landmark is only available in Arizona, Texas, Oregon, Nevada, Idaho, and Utah.
Landmark offers two plans to customers in these states:
- Home Systems Plan: Covers air conditioning, heating, electrical, plumbing, air conditioning, pest control, re-key service, and subterranean termite treatment.
- Total Protection Plan: Covers everything in the Home Systems plan plus most major household appliances including refrigerators, stoves and ovens, washers and dryers, dishwashers, and more.
Prices start as low as $35 per month with trade service fees ranging from $70-$100.
Landmark maintains a 30 day waiting period for homeowners who have been in their home for more than 30 days. They also offer a new home buyer’s plan that mitigates some of the wait.
How We Evaluate Best Home Warranty Companies
When considering what the best home warranty companies are, we looked at price that includes monthly or annual subscription fees as well as costs for the trade service fee. We considered the key inclusions and exclusions of a company as well as the geographic area it served. Finally, we wanted to know how the company services its customers and whether they live up to expectations or not.